Sep 2, 2012

Moulin Rouge [2001]


Directed by Baz Luhrmann and written by him and Craig Pearce, Moulin Rouge is a love story set in Paris 1899, between a young writer and a courtesan. A young English man (Ewan McGregor) travels to Paris to find inspiration and, most importantly, love, and gets mixed up with a group of artists who are looking to put on a show in Moulin Rouge, so they recruit the talented writer and end up convincing the owner and investor (the Duke) to do the improvised Indian play. All this time, the main actress (Nicole Kidman) falls in love with Christian, behind the Duke's back, and the complications threaten to put in danger not only the show, but also the lives of the people involved.

I've been wanting to see this movie for a long time, after I've heard so many great things about it, so I guess I can say I had high expectations for it. Did it rise to the challenge? Not entirely, but it is a very interesting and entertaining film, able to capture the love and attention of people of all ages.

The most appealing factors of this film are obviously the visual and musical aspects. Firstly, the music, a mixture of orchestra, old school pieces and contemporary songs (bold choice, putting a Nirvana song in a cabaret show), definitely raised some eyebrows and I was a little taken aback by it, but got used to it by the middle of it. I loved the use of Your Song and the one she played on the rooftop, after she met Christian, but some songs were weirdly showcased- Like a virgin comes in mind, that was a strange scene.

Secondly, the visuals. I have to say, Baz Luhrman always knows how to put on a good show- Moulin Rouge is no exception and everything looks amazing. I absolutely love the sets and the costumes, I thought Kidman's entire wardrobe was just breathtaking, and the art direction was very good. One thing that put me off was some of the very quick camera action in some scenes, like the audition one or the beginning of the film- I almost got dizzy and it didn't help the movie overall- I understand where he was going, but he overreacted with it just a little, in my opinion. I did like his direction, especially what he did with the Tango scene- that was beautiful. Although at parts crazy, the audition part in Satine's room with the whole cast was very well executed and entertaining to watch- from the poetry reading and its following hilarious scene where he wants to read his poetry and she thinks it's sex what he is after, to the singing and dancing and improvising the story for the Duke.

As for the casting, it was great for the script, although I would have liked more recognizable faces, especially for roles like The Duke or the artists group. Moving on, Nicole Kidman played Satine's sexy, sultry part to the T and I admired everything about her, from the performance, to the singing, to her fantastic dresses. Ewan McGregor was the equivalent of charm and grace and did his part perfectly- I saw the love in his eyes, I believed his tears at the end and I rooted for him and his quest for love throughout the film. I also have to mention John Leguizamo, who played Toulouse-Lautrec- he is a great actor who deserves more credit, and he was very sweet in his role.

In the end, Moulin Rouge is a love story, a tragic one, but one that gives hope. Not the best musical or romantic movie I have ever seen, but a very good one that mostly deserves its praise.

12 comments:

  1. My favorite musical of all-time, just because it loves to entertain and never stops once throughout the whole flick. Great review Aziza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan, I agree, it is an entertaining film!

      Delete
  2. I am not a fan of musicals, but after struggling to get into this one on a couple of viewings, I have to say I enjoyed it the third time around. Incredible sets and costumes - and the editing of some of the musical numbers is insane. Top performances from McGregor and Kidman too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Third time is a charm for you apparently :) I agree with the sets and costumes, very beautiful

      Delete
  3. Glad you liked this movie! I adore costumes too, Kidman looked breathtaking in this movie. I wasn't fan of McGregor, his goofy smile and overall clumsiness always pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I thought he did a good job, especially the crying scene at the end- that was believable

      Delete
  4. I love McGregor's, Kidman's and Broadbent's performances, and the production values are top notch. It's a fun and beautiful movie, but it isn't one my favorites. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not one of my favorites either (I prefer Chicago to this one), but its production value makes it stand out sometimes!

      Delete
  5. Too bad this didn't really live up to your expectations (must be set quite high). I adore this film and it's perhaps one of my favorite modern musicals of all time. Kidman and McGregor are both sublime, both have such lovely voices, I wish McGregor sings more often in his films, ahah. This could be Baz's magnum opus and I quite like Richard Roxburgh's performance as The Duke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The expectations were set high by some friends and bloggers :D, but I didn't hate it, I thought it was quite nice. As far as Baz Luhrman movies go, I like Romeo+Juliet more

      Delete
  6. I liked this film, although mostly for the songs and performances. I actually like Kidman's version of Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend better than Monroe's. I also really liked the Roxanne performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the Roxanne number was really good, I forgot to mention it

      Delete